Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It's getting Biblical out there...

I love thunder storms. The noise, the spectacle, I love it all. But there's a small problem around here with thunder storms. They knock out the electricity and, unfortunately, electricity is what runs the New York City transit system. It's also largely underground. Water, electricity and underground tunnels, apparently not a combination that's conducive to the moving around of several million people.

Once you manage to get across town to Penn Station, you get to take the Long Island Railroad. Which also doesn't run well in the rain. In fact, it went about 15 mph the entire way home. It took a very long time to get home tonight, and once I did get home, then I had to go back out again to pick up my mother, who was even more stuck than I was, because by the time she made it across town the railroad wasn't running at all anymore. So, fun evening all around.

Luckily, I never leave home without my trusty Bag O' Yarn. Between sitting on the train and sitting in the car, I got a whole lot o' knitting done tonight.
I had gotten maybe an inch past the split for the neck on this morning's train ride, so everything above that was done during the commute home or in the car while I waited for my mom's train.

Okay, so it was a very, very, very long trip home. But at least it was productive. Looking at it that way, it's harder to complain. Or, at least it was before the battery on my ipod died.

No comments: